Solo Vocal Artist
June 26 - July 9, 2022
Westminster is pleased to offer this virtual summer program for the high school solo vocalist.
An excellent opportunity for the dedicated young classical singer to explore the many facets of developing the singer's art. Students study voice in daily private lessons and participate in master classes taught by Westminster artist faculty members. Seminars and Master Classes in applying and auditioning for colleges of music, dealing with performance anxiety and memorization, musical style, musicianship, careers in music, recital preparation, performance protocol and language are also offered.
- Virtual format - participate from the comfort of home
- Daily voice lessons with Westminster Voice Faculty
- Take part in staged scenes by Gilbert & Sullivan, Mozart, and/or Humperdinck
- Perform in two final concerts – a voice recital and a scenes concert.
"The experiences, knowledge, and energy shared by the entire Solo Vocal Artist faculty, were beyond positive and inspiring. Mr. Walker welcomed me with open arms and became a mentor for me, which I appreciated SO much. I came into the program with a strong musical theater background but lacked the classical knowledge. I left the program with a new confidence in my vocal and performance abilities as well as a huge appreciation for the classical style. The program truly challenges the individual to channel what makes a "solo vocal artist". We are all individuals and the program really embraces that."
- Josh Pins, most recently on a national tour with West Side Story, on ABC’s General Hospital, and main stage performer for the Disney Cruise Lines’ Disney “Magic”.
Students will attend master classes in The Art of German Lieder Singing and College Auditions.
The schedule will alternate between class days and staging days.
A typical Class Day will consist of:
- Yoga taught by Mark Moliterno
- Performance Techniques classes taught by Charles Walker
- Alexander Technique classes taught by Diane Gaary
- Introduction To Opera taught by Nancy Froysland Hoerl
- Suzuki Movement by Sean McCarther; and Musicianship for Singers.
A typical Staging Day will focus on staging of the assigned Gilbert & Sullivan repertoire.
Both days will include vocal coaching with Akiko Hosaki and members of her coaching staff.
Voice faculty includes Margaret Cusack, Elem Eley, Sean McCarther, Mark Moliterno, Kathy Price, and Charles Walker - singers who have performed with major opera companies and orchestras across the United States and Europe, as well as on Broadway and in regional theater. Akiko Hosaki is conductor, pianist, and collaborative pianist.
High school students who complete any Rider University Pre-College Summer Program prior to applying for first-year admission to Rider University can qualify for an annually renewable $2,000 Pre-College Completion Award. Some restrictions may apply.
$1950 plus $150 deposit fee
Auditions are required. Enrollment is open to students entering 9th grade through those having just completed their senior year.
Important Audition Information:
Students must audition to participate.
- New students need to submit a letter of recommendation, a personal statement (regarding their interest in this program and/or their passion for singing), a repertoire list, and video recording (DVD, YouTube link, etc.)
- Auditions on DVD should be labeled clearly with name and repertoire selections or via YouTube. If the audition is on YouTube, send the url address with the application. Set the privacy settings to “unlisted.” Do not make it public or private.
- Auditions should include two pieces. Repertoire should be age appropriate, MUST be performed from memory and should include: Italian songs and arias from 16th-18th centuries, German Lieder or American art songs.
- Returning students are asked to submit a recording with just one song indicating vocal growth from the previous year.
- Upon acceptance, all students will receive repertoire assignments for the program.
Equipment (what is needed to attend the program): Good internet connection
Expectations: Students must participate in both weeks.
Westminster Office of Continuing Education
Email: [email protected]